You’ve probably seen it in store shelves, but what is Vegenaise?
In simple terms, its vegan mayonnaise.
But there’s more to it than that.
Vegenaise is actually a brand of vegan mayonnaise. So it isn’t the only one in the market. It is however one of the better known brands.
This product doesn’t contain any eggs, is gluten free and uses all natural ingredients. Yet it gives you that mayonnaise taste, and works just as well as mayo. In fact, the company’s tag line is “Better than Mayo”.
Tastes Like Real Mayonnaise
There are a lot of mayo alternatives around, but most of them don’t really make the grade. This one, I can say not only looks like mayo, it has similar texture and taste as well.
Among the different vegan mayo brands around, I can say that Vegenaise ranks up there with Just Mayo as the best options.
The two are different though.
Vegenaise has a thicker texture compared to Just Mayo. It also has a bit of a slightly sweeter flavor thanks to the brown rice syrup. It’s very creamy and like real mayonnaise you can use it as a spread or dip.
Vegenaise does has a few different variations available in the market. They all give you that mayonnaise flavor.
- Original – this is their main product. It’s the most popular and what most people get. It also contains healthy Omega-3 fatty acids which are good for the heart.
- Reduced Fat – if you’re on a diet or want a low fat version, this is a good option over the original. It has ½ the calories as well as fat as the original. Yet tastes just like the original, or close to it.
- Organic – this produce comes with FDA certification. It uses 100% organic ingredients.
- Grapeseed Oil – for those looking for something more than just reduced fat, try grapeseed oil. This will help boost your good cholesterol and lower bad cholesterol.
- Soy Free – this one brings the same taste as the original version but doesn’t contain any soy.
All of the brand’s products are certified to be vegan friends, gluten free, dairy free and cholesterol free. They’re kosher and contain no GMO.
For vegan mayo with flavor, vegenaise also carries its line of gourmet options. These are basically original versions but infused with varying flavors:
- Roasted Garlic
- Tartar Sauce
Just Mayo was released in the U.S. late 2013. It was sold in Whole Foods and is produced by a company called Hampton Creek. It’s one of the most popular mayonnaise alternatives because it offers excellent flavor and is just like real mayonnaise as well.
This tastes like real homemade mayonnaise. It have a creamy texture and offers the most balance among all the vegan mayo brands around. It has rich ingredients but the lemon and vinegar content balance them quite well.
This brand also doesn’t use eggs. It uses Canadian yellow field pea, which is a type of split pea, to replace egg and work as its protein sources instead.
The brand carries four variations:
- Original – which is like real mayonnaise, without the egg or dairy.
- Chipotle – for those who like heat.
- Garlic – if you’re a fan of garlic mayo or aioli, you’ll like this.
- Sriracha – this mayo comes with the Asian hot chili sauce. So it’s hot with an extra kick in flavor.
Making Your Own Homemade Vegan Mayonnaise
If you have the time, nothing beats a good homemade mayonnaise. The good news is, you can make your own non-egg mayo in your kitchen.
Here’s a step by step guide on how to make your own vegan mayo.
While it does take more time to make than grabbing a jar from the store, it gives you the satisfaction of knowing exactly what ingredients are in it. Plus you get to be able to adjust the flavor, texture and creaminess to your liking later on.
Vegenaise gets a thumbs up in our book. It’s a great vegan mayo alternative that’s just as good as the real thing.
We know because we’ve tested it with our kids and some co-workers. No one knew they were eating egg-free mayo. In fact, majority said Vegenaise tasted better than regular mayo in a blind test.
Vegenaise, along with Just Mayo are both great products that any non-meat, egg or dairy eater can use in salads or dips in place of real mayonnaise. It works really well.