Having a nice yard or garden often means not just taking care of the lawn and flowerbeds, it also means trimming hedges, shrubs and maintaining trees. The best hedge trimmer helps you take care of the sometimes crazy growth of plants that can not only affect the looks of your yard but also get in the way.
When it comes to tools that will help you easily trim your hedges, these are our top picks.
- Our Cordless Trimmer Pick: BLACK+DECKER LHT2436 24-Inch 40-Volt Cordless Hedge Trimmer
- Top Pick for Corded Electric: GreenWorks 22112 22-Inch Corded Electric Hedge Trimmer
- Our Top Choice for Gas Trimmers: Poulan Pro PP2822 22-Inch 28cc 2 Cycle Gas Powered Dual Sided Hedge Trimmer
- Our Best “for the money” choice: BLACK+DECKER HT22 Hedge Trimmer, 22-Inch
If you need to browse through more products before choosing which one to get,
Types of Hedge Trimmers
When going to get one of these lawn care tools, you’ll see 3 basic types available. These are the corded electric models, the cordless battery powered trimmers and the gas powered units. They are do the job but using them, as well as maintaining them can be quite different.
- Corded Electric Trimmers – these are among the most popular models around because they give you sufficient power for a small to medium sized lawn. They are also cheaper than their gas counterparts. In general, you’ll find a good number of quality electric models under $100, while for the most part you’ll be spending $100 and above for gas powered ones. Also with the gas units, you’ll need to fill it every so often which adds to the cost.
- Cordless Electric Hedge Trimmers – the issue with the corded electric units is that they can be limited by the location of your power socket. If you don’t have electric sockets outdoors or like using a long extension, then these battery powered cordless trimmers are better for you. They don’t pack as much power as the corded counterparts, but like them they also don’t emit any fumes. Both are easy to maintain and start with a push of a button. Most cordless batteries run for about half an hour to 45 minutes.
- Gas Hedge Trimmers – these are the most powerful of all, and are the types used for commercial use for the most part. They give you freedom of any power cords, but require gas refills. These are capable of working on larger areas without any issues.
Choosing Blade Size
Below is a table that will help you figure out what blade size trimmer you need. This way you don’t buy something more expensive that you need to. Or worse, end up with too small a trimmer to efficiently get the job done.
|Blade Size||Best used for|
|16 inches or less||Ideally made to handle small to medium sized hedges|
|18 to 20 inches||Best used for medium to large hedges. If you’re not sure what to get but want versatility, this is the one to get. It can be used for homes as well as bigger jobs when called for.|
|Over 20 inches||Built for larger hedges. This is also a great choice if you have a lot of hedges to take care of.|
Best Cordless Hedge Trimmer
Black & Decker LHT2436 Cordless Hedge Trimmer
Black & Decker’s battery powered LHT2436 model is an electric hedge trimmer. This runs on a 24 inch long blade that cuts your hedges with dual action.
This features reduces the amount of vibration during operation. As a result, you end up with straighter, truer cuts and more attractive looking hedges.
The front handle of the LHT2436 is designed in such a manner that no matter what angle you have to hold the trimmer, to make the trimming cut that is called for, you will be able to do it with precision and safety.
This Black and Decker trimmer is powered by a 40 volt lithium ion battery. This lets you charge it when needed unlike the older NiCad units where the charge needs to be depleted to prolong the battery life.
When it is fully charged it is capable of trimming up to 6000 square feet of hedge on each charge. The charger that is included with the purchase of this product is energy star rated.
As a bonus, the battery can be used in other Black & Decker tools. This product is covered by a two year warranty. This may well be the best hedge trimmer.
Best Corded Electric Hedge Trimmer
GreenWorks 22112 22-Inch Corded Electric Hedge Trimmer
The GreenWorks 22112 has a 4 amp electric motor which provides the power for its 22 inch blade. The blade is capable of cutting shrub and hedge branches up to 9/16 of an inch thick.
The dual action of the blade provides for a neat well groomed look.
This model 22112 GreenWorks offering is protected from premature disconnections by the cord lock feature.
When using the unit, you can be confident that you will get the look you want, no matter what angle you are trimming from, because the rear handle rotates at a 180 degrees. This allows you to make the proper adjustments as needed, offering flexibility. The wrap around front handle also provides an additional measure of comfort and ease of use.
This product is backed by GreenWork’s standard 4 year warranty.
Best Gas Hedge Trimmer
Poulan Pro PP2822 22-Inch 2 Cycle Gas Powered Dual Sided Hedge Trimmer
The Poulan Pro PP2822 gasoline powered hedge trimmer has a 28 cc 2 cycle engine. On the cutting end, it has a dual sided 22 inch blade.
These components are complemented by a handle that you can manipulate to get a comfortable angle for any trim that you need to execute.
The teeth on the cutting blade are serrated for increased cutting efficiency.
The Poulan Pro PP2822 weighs a manageable 15.8 pounds. It has dimensions measuring 46 inches by 10 inches by 8 inches. The unit is yellow and black in color.
The fact that it uses a 2 cycle engine means that a special gasoline and oil mixture will need to be used for fuel. You will need to consult the manual’s directions when you receive the unit for instructions on how to do this if you’re not familiar with it.
Best Hedge Trimmer For The Money
Black & Decker TR117 Hedge Trimmer
The Black & Decker TR117 hedge trimmer runs on a 3.2 amp motor. It uses a 17 inch steel blade that is hardened and rust resistant. This means it stays sharper longer. Plus it won’t rust after a few months of use even on wet plants.
This unit operates with a dual action motion. This allows the running blade to make smoother cuts with less vibration. The trimmer will cut through hedge and shrubbery branches up to 5/8 inch thick.
This machine is light, weighing less than 5 pounds so it is suitable for most people. The cord retention feature prevents disconnections so you can work continuously.
It also comes with a start lock feature, provides extra safety since it won’t start when you don’t want it to do so. Black & Decker covers your purchase of this product with a two year warranty.